Friday, October 2, 2009

Update from the sandbox

I finally got a short message from Dan. This deployment is not going to go quite like we thought it would. He was supposed to go to FOB Somerall and have it pretty easy. Instead, at the last minute they decided that just his platoon would be going to FOB Dagger instead. This FOB isn't quite as posh as Somerall. They have no phones or store for basic necessities. They can only have access to their $$ once a month and I think they will be able to go to another FOB to go to a store every once in a while. They do have internet access though. Praise the Lord!

It's been 2 weeks since I talked to Dan or gotten a message from him so it was really great to get a short note. It's going to take me a little time to adjust to not expecting phone calls. I was really looking forward to the next one. But that's ok, there are MANY more deployed soldiers who have it much, much harder!

Thank you so much for your prayers! If you are interested their needs have recently increased due to the lack of access to a store. They will now need us to send things like toiletries and basic needs.

I also got his address:

SPC Dan Kelso
HHC, 4-1 ID
3rd Platoon, D. Co
FOB Dagger
APO AE 09393

I can't wait to get a package together. I have been anxiously awaiting the address!!

1 comment:

Paige said...

Mark had this same experience when he left last year...this is when we discoverd skype. Hopefully with Dan's internet access he will at least be able to stay in contact that way. I know it can be tough, but we will pray that it will not be.
You are doing great Ashleight..it's already October, meaning this time next year he will already be home!!